Friday, February 18, 2011

The Good Ship Bowden Rides Techno-Wav​es

This was a techno-difficult week on the Good Ship Bowden.

Working hard to get on line to read my Emily contest judges' feedback knocked the wind out of my sails on Tuesday. (I tied for second place in the YA category!) Once I was in possession of the score sheets and comments, I was pleased to find good news--and some of what I expected. In all, lots to think about,lots to put to use. 

The internet "weather" calmed down, and the Good Ship Bowden sailed smoothly--for two whole days--before hitting rough water again. This time it hit a storm. Hours of battling dueling Hurricanes Comcast  and Xfinity before sending out the SOS. After an entire hour with an uncommonly brilliant tech rep somewhere in India, our internet was back up and running. But it's amazing what frustration can do to your creativity. Like sink it completely. Not forever, but for most of the day.

I needed distraction and decided to watch "Lost in Austen," a clever time travel about an avid Jane Austen fan who finds a character from the novel she's reading in her bathroom.


It turns out there's a door in the bathroom wall that leads to... well, I won't give it all away. It's worth watching if you're a fan of time travel and/or Jane Austen. I give it a "not quite" B+.  

Par for the day, wouldn't you know, the copy I ordered from Amazon.com had issues? I am still not laughing. Skips and blips, digital scrambles, dialogue coming from the wrong lips, etc. Arrgh! It was a long, long movie, what with rewinding several scenes over and over again, trying to figure out what was going on. (I pay great attention to dialogue.)

Our heroine's singing debut was cut entirely, probably due to copyright issues. I'm guessing it was a rendition of Petula Clark's "Downtown." I would have liked to have seen it.

I had to run the end of the movie three times to see it, thanks to phones, door bells and barking dogs.

Tomorrow will be better. It always is. Which reminds me of that song from a 1980's movie, sung by a little orphan girl with red curls. Hmmmm. If I need a creative distraction tomorrow, perhaps I'll create the soundtrack to my WIP. As long as iTunes is working.

2 comments:

  1. Eeps! Hope the days since you posted this have been better! Super congratulations on your awesome Emily placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather! Computer/internet issues have improved which means I'm concentrating more on writing. I'm also back to studying YA novel beginnings... It must be the teacher in me... When in doubt, figure it out.

    ReplyDelete