Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What do you mean, summer's over?

So tell me, if it's gone, where did it go? I'm not sure I want it back--it's hot enough out there and will be for another month or so, at least here in Texas. I realize I spent some time away, but really! I was supposed to have finished The Novel by now, and I have a long way to go. I am way behind schedule!

Yesterday I.WAS.READY to kick-start the writing frenzy. The boys left the house and I got dressed, packed up my writing gear, prepared to find a distraction-free location with coffee and promptly fell asleep on the couch. Luckily, when I woke up two hours later, the energy I'd acquired was excellent stuff. Pretty sure I'd been dreaming my next pages, considering the way the words flew onto the computer screen when I sat down to write.

Last night I stayed up too late reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth. We get up early around here, so I'm really s l o w this morning. But today I shall, repeat, shall exit and write. Two chapters? Three? Must finish the book soon because I've got other ideas that have been simmering in the back of my mind and are rapidly coming to a boil. I refuse to get sidetracked. (Hear that, distracting good ideas?)

Writing tip of the week: For a fresh view of your work, email your pages to your Kindle. Typos stick out wickedly but, you never know, you might just dazzle yourself with your brilliance. (Well, it's possible.) Hugs to friend and author Pauline Baird Jones for this suggestion. It was just what I needed!

This week's WIP clue: a 2002 Honda Odyssey with a crack in the windshield. And that's all I'm saying. Except, if you see this "clue" on the street, remember there's a little bit of the author in every piece of fiction. And be kind, the car was clean 'til I drove through the work zone at Klein High School in the rain.

Kudos to: The Houston YA/MG Writers Group, which was organized by Mary Lindsey, Jessica Capelle, Rose Garcia Moriarty and Iona McAvoy. Hugs to each of those terrific women for the grand thing they've started! The group meets the third Saturday morning of each month (currently at La Madeleine's near Town and Country Mall on the Sam Houston Tollway.) The August 21st meeting included an active discussion about "Plot Pitfalls" led by Rose Garcia Moriarty. Attendees offered great suggestions for avoiding little buggers like premises that aren't very compelling, illogical sequences, shallow/boring/frenzied/too predictable plotlines and unsatisfying endings that disappoint readers.

Special note: If you're wild about musicals like I am, check out PBS' gorgeous "Encore" presentation of South Pacific, brilliantly filmed on The Lincoln Center's stage in NYC. Check your local listing for dates and times.

I guess that's all for now. While I drink my morning coffee and read a few pages before writing a few pages, Annie and I will imagine it's March and we're in Wyoming, on the road to the Grand Canyon. Check out the pics below. I don't know about you, but we can almost feel the frosty wind in our faces... Oh that's right, it's the air conditioner again...

See ya next Tuesday!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your blog up, Nancy! Hope you get a lot done on the WIP today. I'm going to pause reading Mockingjay just long enough to go to my critique group today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks like you were up around the same time I was this morning. Unfortunately I wasn't up that early to work on my blog! Keep up the great posts and good luck with your WIP. Are you on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog, Vonna! I haven't read Hunger Games yet! Can you believe it? Forget the TBR stack--it's on the MBR stack (so I can catch up with everyone and get on the Mockingjay bandwagon!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, the alarm goes off at five:something every week day... Thanks for visiting e.t.i.d. (the blog.) I'm not on twitter. Not yet anyway. It was facebook in 2009, blog in 2010... maybe in 2011? lol One distraction at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Kindle on order! I didn't even know you could email stuff to it. WOW. Love the tip, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane, yay for your future Kindle! Reading your own writing on a Kindle is really mind-blowing. You'll love it. Now how to get my now-revised-stuff off the Kindle? That I must find out. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mentioned me! Wow! I feel suddenly important! Glad the tip is working for you. I love it(while flinching as my mistakes pop out of the text and mock me!)
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy, I love your new blog. Great job. While straigtening up to get ready for vacation I lost your card and couldn't contact you. If you still want to walk or critique at Starbucks let me know.
    PS. I'm reading FIVE SKIES.
    Susan
    Smuller1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Pauline! You might have to tutor me a little bit more to help me get my drafts off the Kindle!:)

    Hi, Susan! You're back! Thanks for checking out the blog. I haven't lost your card or forgotten you. I'll catch up with you soon!

    ReplyDelete